Tuesday, April 26, 2011

From Pisa

Pisa, Italy

Hello Family, 

The ride over here was good. Took a long time. 18 hours of actual travel time to get to Pisa not to mention all the layovers we had and waiting for trains. So I've been trying to overcome the jetlag this week. The physical and physcological exhertion of getting here as well as being here is crazy.  I never thought it was possible to be as tired as I am. But the work goes on.
 
So you heard about my companion. He is awesome just like president said.  I dont know if president told you this but I'm killing my companion. Yep my trainer Anziano Schultz dies at the end of this transfer. He turned 21 yesterday. So he has lots of experience and is amazing at the language. Unlike me of course. I didn't know how bad I truly am at Italian. I thought I knew so much! Yikes. I can't understand anyone. It's awful-so discouraging. So I kinda just sit there. Like last night for example, sitting in branch counsel with 5 Italian priesthood leaders, my comp and me for an hour and half. I try so hard to listen and understand but its not coming, So hard here. But I get along great with A. Schultz. He is a real good missionary especially for being in his 16th transfer. Apparently a lot of misisonaries just give up near the end but not him.  Our branch is pretty good. Despite a lot of difficulties in Pisa missionary work in the past, the members are really strong. We had prob 40 or 50 people at church last Sunday.
 
My apartment is pretty nice. Really old but very spacious for just the 2 of us. The bathroom is bad but thats okay. But everything else is good. We even have a stereo system  with big speakers. The food here has been really good. Or the pizza we have gotten at restaurants is good and we had lunch at a part member family after church on sunday, the food just kept coming, first a huge plate of pasta, then pork roast, then the salad and bread with oil then cake then fruit. The fresh squeezed blood orange juice is so good. The milk is really wierd. They don't refrigerate it. Just sits out and doesn't go bad somehow.
 
Missionary work is going good but really discouraging at times, especially when you don't speak the language real well. Casa in Casa especially, door after door closed. no mi interessà! is what I get, We have a couple of investigators who seem to be doing good and interested in progressing, i just dont know what will happen. We taught a guy from Senegal the other day, big guy. Wants to convert to christianity. His name, Fall fallou. cool huh. We also have an investigator, Nicla she is really nice. She doesn't laugh at my italian like everybody else. This first week we've taught a lot of new-converts and less active members. So we work with the members a lot too. Our ward mission leader is awesome, he sets appointments up for us all the time.
 
Pisa is nice, the tower is the only real beautiful thing about Pisa other than that its kinda ghetto. We went with a member on some referrals out to Lucca, a city just outside Pisa, in the beautiful rolling hills and farmland of Tuscany. O my gosh, Tuscany at its best, just like you would imagine. So gorgious out there. Orchards and old style houses. That's my misison field. We have already been to Firenze (Florence) too. We went for zone interviews on Monday so I've already seen so much here already. The APs were there too. Its nice knowing Creed, the APs are like the law aroud here besides president of course. They're really corny and excited all the time.
 
Alrighty, I dont know what else to say. I love you all so much and miss you. talk to you later.
 
Love,
 
Anziano Mendel 

No comments:

Post a Comment