Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 6, 2011 Hand written letter

Hello, sorry its been awhile since a hand written letter, I just don't have a whole lot of time between missionary work and sleep.  But today I had some time because I had to go back to Pisa from Bologna to pick up my Permessso Di Sorgiorno (permission to stay in the country). So Anz. Rich and I had to go and take first a train from Bologna to Prato, from Prato to Firenze and then Firenze to Pisa.  Lot of travel.  It took awhile because we only take regional trains because they are the cheap ones.  So we got to Pisa today and went to the Questura.  We had to wait forever but I got my Permesso, (green card) and I have some good news...it doesn't expire for 2 years. Usually the Permessos they give to missionaries are only for one year so you have to go through the renewal process all over again and its a real hassle.  So I'm super happy I don't ever have to deal with legal stuff again on my mission and I won't be deported.  I took Anz. Rich around to see the Tower and the River of course.  We got some pictures, ate at my favorite pizza place then I said good bye to Pisa for a long time. It was sad but just another one of those facts of life that we love so much.  I'm on the train back to Bologna now.

Bologna is a lot different than Pisa but I like it.  Much, much bigger and more foreigners.  It's also a Bus city so I'm not riding bikes anymore.  I'm in the process of learning to navigate myself around.  It will take some time to learn such a big city as this.  Living in 4 is better than I thought.  Sometimes its annoying but most of the time so much better.  It keeps us all on task like leaving the apartment on time and staying out til we are supposed to.  So it's Anz. Rich and me and Anz. Dunshee and Anz. Duque.  I love them all.  Anz. Duque is a really good cook and he loves to cook so he cooks for all of us a lot.  And also they are zone leaders so they are always going on splits which will bring other elders to our apartment.  I'm excited for that.  Also in my district is the city of Ravenna with Anz. Bona and Bushman.  Bushman was my first zone leader in the MTC who I loved so much and Bona is now my district leader.  He is so funny and chill.  But also really spiritual and serious when it comes down to our investigators.  I'm excited to scambi with him this transfer.

This Monday for District meeting Bona brought an American Flag and we all said the Pledge of Allegiance because it was the 4th of July.  Did you have a good Fourth of July?  What'd you do?  Did you make my favorite cake?  Do you remember what my favorite cake is?  I hope you had a great holiday and that the summer is going good for the family.

Summer in Italy is kinda brutal.  It's super hot now and the members and all of our investigators all go on holiday for summer so it's super hard to do the work.  My companionship in Bologna was just opened up last transfer so there is not a lot of things happening yet.  We have some investigators bur I'm not sure what will happen with them.  Also we haven't developed many member relationships yet which is clearly the way to go about missionary work.  I tried to start some this Sunday at a picnic we had after church.  its just a long process.  My Italian is really good right now, I think.  I have a long way to go but I think I've made tons of progress my first 2 transfers.  All the members were really shocked when I told them I've only been in Italy for 3 months.  So that's uplifting and encouraging.

So my new companion is really sweet.  I like him a lot.  I'm excited to work with him.  He's really chill but still knows and wants to work.  He never laughs at my jokes though....Haha (not a big deal).  I'm glad I have the chance to serve with him.  He's on his 11th transfer so he's pretty "old".  I like the way Anz. Rich and I teach together in the few opportunities we have had so far.  We have pretty good teaching chemistry.  I look forward to good things this transfer.  I hope I stay with Rich more than 1 transfer too.  Life is good for me.

Bologna apartment is super nice.  We even have a dryer, so we don't have to hang dry our stuff.
I want to end with my testimony that I know this church is true.  I know that missionary work is so important and I'm glad to be involved with it right now in my life.  I know we have a Savior and Redeemer in Christ and that only through Him can we receive remission of our sins.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ and I love my family.  I've been using your tips on Prayer like you counseled.  Thank you so much.  It's helping a ton.  Thanks for everything.

Anz. Mendel

No comments:

Post a Comment