Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 1, 2012


I was really excited this week to read your emails about how the wedding went and the big reunion of the family. It's sad that I missed an event like that but it really didn't occupy my brain to much. There is too much going on here to have distracted me too much.
 
From your emails I didn't get an overall 'feel' of how the wedding turned out.  What obvious and plain testimonies these moments give us on what the Gospel really does in our lives. It's not just some belief that helps us give sacrament talks and gets us to church on Sundays. It influences every aspect of our lives. 

As you had mentioned, I hit my 6th month mark this week. Technically, I hit it next week because I will be getting home Friday, Feb 8th. But I started Feb 2nd so I have been a missionary 18 months. The time has flown but at the same time, I have been away from home for awhile. The tiredness at times is just tremendous. This last week especially. I am just so tired all the time. The mission has been great. Once in a life time opportunity. I'm so thankful I decided to serve.
 
********* is doing great, he came to church this week and this time even brought his brother. Last Thursday we taught the Word of Wisdom. And that right now is his biggest obstacle in getting baptised. I really hope he can do it but it's going to be tough. I just hope he can summon the mental capacity to overcome an addiction like smoking. He doesn't smoke too much, a pack a day. 20. He accepted the commandment and is trying now to wean himself off of it. We are just praying for him now which is all we can really do. We can give him encouragement and comfort but when it comes down to it, he is the one who has to make the decision to quit. For your information. We set the goal for the 7th of August to be completely off smoking. Otherwise we will have to move his bap date back.
 
Other than *********, we found a nice lady from the Dominican Republic named *******, The first time we met her she didn't have a man in the house so we couldn't enter. Since then we have been able to see her twice and bring male members each time. She seems really interested and has begun to read the BOM. Her schedule is tough because she works in a rest home so sometimes she works through the night. We will just try our hardest to get her into church this week.
 
You asked about the members here and then about my Mission President? The members here are great. I've already made good relationships with many of them. That has been something really easy for me my whole mission. Making strong relationships with the members. We are about 100-120 in church every week. This for me is an essential aspect of missionary work. Strong realtionships with the members. Earning their trust. This is something I am trying to help my current companion with. This for me is a lot more important then going out and doing mindless hours of finding work that rarely produces results.
 
As for my mission president, I dont know why I never mention anything about him. He's a great President and his zone meetings are always exactly what I need. I love my President, He does a great job. I know he's inspired. He's good. 
 
I loved the picture! Thanks for sending it. You look great what are you talking about!
 
Oh and thanks for the olympics news. Keep that coming!
 
Love you all!
 
Anz. Mendel 

No comments:

Post a Comment